A chicken pot pie seasoned with sage and thyme.
|15 minutes||Two hours||Two hours and 15 minutes||Four servings|
|Chicken broth||2 cu|
|Vegetable shortening||0.5 cu|
|Chicken thighs||9 oz|
|Kosher salt||1.5 tsp|
|Black pepper||1 tsp|
|White Pepper||1 tsp|
- Set out 3 tbsp of butter to soften for beurre manie (cold roux).
- Measure frozen vegetables to start thawing.
- Lightly stir flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- With a pastry cutter cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle in five to six tbsp cold water with mixing and shape into a firm ball.
- Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for thirty minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Sauté vegetables in a few tablespoons of olive oil until they start to brown.
- Add chicken and cook until chicken starts to brown.
- Add remaining frozen (now thawed) vegetables (peas, corn, greenbeans, etc.) to taste, and cook for five minutes.
- Add chicken broth and reduce filling.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Make beurre manie by blending 3 tbsp flour with the softened 3 tbsp of butter to make a smooth paste.
- Whisk in the beurre manie a little bit at a time to thicken the filling.
- Roll out the dough to fit your pie tin, then add filling and top crust.
- Decorate with extra dough on top and make ventilation holes.
- Bake until crust is golden brown (approximately one hour).
- Let the pie cool for 20 minutes.
Subscribe to my mailing list
Get my latest recipes and ideas delivered right to your inbox